Perfect egg with chia and poppy seeds on a bed of spinach and wine sauce
Recipe from Thibaut Laffut
Chef of Cap des trois provinces
Ingredients (for 8 people):
- 10 Columbus eggs
- ½ L white vinegar
- Cold water bowl with ice cubes
- 100 g of flour
- 100 gr breadcrumbs
- 100 gr of Chia seeds
- 100 g of poppy seeds
- 100 gr spinach leaves
- 150 grams of butter
- 1 bottle of red wine
- 100 g of shallot
- Salt and pepper
- Trout egg and dill for garnish
- (frying oil)
- 2 dl cream
- 80 grams of butter
- Boil some water with 0.5 L vinegar (the vinegar is used to soften the egg shell so that it is easier to remove). Carefully put the eggs in the boiling water and count 5 minutes from the moment the water boils again.
- Take the eggs out and immerse them in a bowl of ice water with ice cubes to stop the cooking process. Once cooled, carefully remove the shell, beware this is a very fragile task.
- Clean and wash the spinach leaves and stew them in a pan. You can serve them in this way as a bed for the egg or finish it to a smooth structure. In that case, add the cream and 80 g of butter and mix everything to get a homogeneous structure.
- Put the shallots in a pan with 50 grams of butter and let it stew. Add 4 tablespoons of flour so that you get a roux and then add the red wine. Let it simmer until reduced by half, mix the whole and add 100 grams of butter.
- Pre-heat the fryer to 180 °C.
- Roll the eggs in flour, then dip them in a bowl with two beaten eggs, salt and pepper and then roll them in a plate with the mixture of breadcrumbs, chia and poppy seeds.
- Immerse in the fryer and fry the eggs for 1 to 2 minutes until golden brown, then place on a paper towel and remove them carefully.
- Place two tablespoons of spinach in the center of the plate. Make a few drops of sauce along the edge of the plate and place a trout egg on each drop. Serve the fried egg while it’s hot.
Do you have a pipette? Pipette some extra sauce into the egg!
Tip, you can serve this dish with the red wine sauce and some bread.